Sunday, December 31, 2006
MTB race@Suzhou, Qionglong mtn (穹隆山)
December 17. First race in over a year but it really wasn't much of a mountain bike race. It was a 4.5km climb up one of the few "mountains" in Suzhou on paved roads. Boy am I out of shape! I came in 23 out of 30 something which is a total disappointment for me considering I've done much better in the past.
The race was separated between road bike and MTB with a total of about 100 riders. One thing that surprised me was the number of female riders present--I never would have imagined that this kind of sport would be popular among Asian females--rarely do I see Asian females in MTB races back home. The weather couldn't have been more perfect (Suzhou tend to rain a lot in the winter)--clear skies but just a little on the nippy side at -4C.

Although there are a billion bikes in China, the actual biking scene is still fairly young. Road and MTB bikers are rare but the numbers are increasing rapidly. As well, those who are real bikers, are quite hardcore and actually ride their bikes (unlike back home where many purchase fancy bikes for show.) Brand names like Trek, Cervelo, Specialized, and Giant (very popular in China) are quite expensive compared to Canada so this sport will be depressed until the country gets wealthier.

Big thanks goes to my class rep, Li Zheng Tai, who loves bicycles more than I do and who got me into this race. He also convinced the Trek store by Ganjiang lu to lend me a Giant bicycle for the race. Thank you Trek dian! If you ever need bicycle equipment, they have a good selection of Trek stuff. As well, Silverbikes on Shizi jie has a very good selection of many brands of bikes and parts. They are both very helpful and very friendly.

谢谢大家!

Labels:

posted by Y> @ 9:45 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At 11:23 PM, Anonymous noriko said…

    Hey Wai, What's going on for you? Where are you now? Did you already leave for Toronto? I lost your e-mail add. Please let me know if you have a time. noriko

     
  • At 12:59 AM, Anonymous Lee Jung Tae said…

    wai how do you do I'm fine

    I visited your blog and see you again by picture. i also missing that days.

    i wish you healthy and happy
    see you later!
    zhaogongzuo zai geini lianxi~!!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me
Name:
Location: Canada
Previous Posts
Archives
Links
isnaini